Asked by chicknalfredo
I don’t think the fandom is misjudging Tywin at all. Tywin Lannister is a complete asshole, and he is most definitely not someone with “great” morality.
- He had an innocent 14 year old orphan peasant girl gang-raped and he forced his disabled 13 year old son to participate, to give him a “sharp lesson”. If Tywin hadn’t done that, he would probably still be alive right now.
- As a teenager, long before his wife died, he killed all of the men, women, and innocent children in two whole houses.
- When his father died, again long before Joanna died, Tywin had his father’s mistress stripped and paraded naked through the streets of Lannisport - for the crime of being a social climber. Funny, because Tywin is also a social climber, on a much grander scale.
- Tywin orders the deaths of Rhaenys & Aegon Targaryen, who were innocents. I don’t think Tywin ordered Elia’s rape & murder, but he is still responsible for it as a military leader, so let’s list that too.
- In the aftermath of the Red Wedding, we see that Tywin believes “killing saves lives,” which I understand is a very controversial real world political topic, let alone a controversial topic on tumblr. But ASOIAF is a very anti-war text, and the text is telling us it is wrong, that killing is murder. We as human beings aren’t meant to read about a bunch of people being slaughtered under a flag of truce and then read about Arya and Sansa crying in despair afterwards and say, “Wow, look at Tywin’s amazing cost/benefit analysis,” I don’t care how hard-core a Lannister-stan you are.
- Tywin helps Robert send assassins after Dany throughout her childhood. (If “killing saves lives” was the “right” moral philosophy, Pycelle’s advice in book 1 would have been followed, and Dany would be dead and Westeros would be fucked. There are definitely right and wrong answers to the moral questions in ASOIAF, it is not a text free of morality.)
- Tywin started a war to get Tyrion back, burning out the Riverlands (including all the crops!! When winter is coming!! Excellent cost/benefit analysis on Tywin’s part!!!). When instead!! Instead!!!!! He could have gone to King’s Landing to petition for the King’s Justice, and then Tywin would have been there when Joff assumed the throne, and then Tywin might have been able to stop Ned being executed!!!!!! And then there wouldn’t have been a war!!!
- "I’ve lost a hand, a father, a son, a sister, and a lover, and soon enough I will lose a brother. And yet they keep telling me House Lannister has won this war"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Everything that happens to Tyrion between his arrest by Cat and his getting out of the Vale is independent of Tywin’s actions, which means Tywin’s war was absolutely unnecessary!!!
- Tywin wants a thousand year Lannister dynasty, but he disowns both of his sons before he dies!!! That’s not even logical!!!!
- Tywin only cares about Lannisters, and doesn’t give a fuck about anyone else in the world, and I sympathize, I only care about Lannisters too, Tywin, but that’s a really bad world view to have!!! There are so many non-Lannisters in the world!!
- Tywin surrounds himself with family members in his war councils, his political maneuvering etc, but he even treats his family members like shit!!! Brilliant!1!!
- Bullet point for Tywin’s general dickishness, because Tywin is just so much of a dick that I can’t keep track of it all.
- Tywin Lannister does not get cookies for restraining himself from murdering his newborn son!!!!!!! No one gets cookies for restraining themselves from murdering someone!!!!!!1!!1!
I LOVE TYWIN, and I’m a really big Tywin fan, but I’m a bigger fan of watching House Lannister crash and burn while Tywin rolls over in his grave because he was just so wrong. About everything. I appreciate that you like my blog, thank you, but I can’t agree with your interpretation of Tywin. Tywin Lannister is wrong in all the ways and his morality is really, really not an example for anyone to follow.